Monday, September 21, 2009

Porch is fixed

I didn't take pictures of the before and I really should have because it was pretty bad. We took down the rotted wood about 3 years ago and the porch has sad in horror for that long. Finally for my birthday in May I was asked by my step-dad what I wanted for my birthday... I said "I really want someone to help me fix the porch..."

In September he finally agreed to help.

The biggest and most concerning part of this was that I felt like the porch was sagging where the strip of rotted wood (stud) was as a result of the water that seeped through the skylights several years ago. Even after the new roof, of course that part wasn't fixed. So the suggestion was to better prop up the boards and put in more secure wood. So we jacked it up with a jack and then put in the boards.

From there it was just about putting up the plywood, and then the trim pieces. We opted for larger trim pieces which I plan to paint the accent color we use when we get the new siding.

New wood ceiling - and recessed lighting in two spots on the porch. One above where the stairs are and one above where the porch swing will be.

New screen door - which is from my parents who were getting rid of theirs - and a new porch light which we of course got form Lowes.

What it looks like from the street... ignore how awful the house looks we're hoping to fix that, but you can see how awesome the lighting looks as its dark.

That's PaPa sitting on the porch
Details:

Light fixture: BRONZE Portfolio outdoor wall light from Lowes. This is a great light, but I didn't notice anything designating that it was Bronze on the box and from the photo on the box it looks black. With the black storm door I need to probably spray paint it but it looks ok for now.

0 comments:

 
Free counter and web stats template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing