Monday, September 28, 2009

Master Bathroom Design Dilemma

I posted photos of the master bathroom and all of its horror.... but the major problem I have with that bathroom is that its about 6 feet by 8 feet in size. Long bathroom... not a lot of room. The bath tub/shower is about two feet from the vanity and sinks. This makes things pretty tight and impossible to turn into a true master bathroom.

Behind the bathroom (which is to the north) is the furnace and a linen cabinet that is accessible from the hall way. To the west of the bathroom on the other side of the wall is the hall way from which that linen cabinet is accessible. From within that hall way there are two hall closets both about 4 feet deep.

My mother's suggestion was to move the furnace because evidently furnaces should be in the center part of the house to be the most efficient in heath distribution. But one estimate on cost from a heating and air company proved to be totally unrealistic coming in at about $27,000. Another company came in and told me it was a total waste of time and money because I could just build into the hall way. I'd anticipated that, but it them limits the closet options for the "piano room" which I've now put a bed in for use as a guest room or sitting room.

I drew up some plans with a neat program I got in the back of a bathroom book I found at Lowe's. The book was $20 but like I said... software! If I break down the wall between the current bath and hall as well as the wall between the two hall closets and create a wall linking everything together - you basically connect a 6X8 foot space to about a 6X7 foot space.

My dilemma is how the heck I create essentially a Jack and Jill bathroom with a large tub, separate shower, two vanities, and a toilet and moving the least amount of plumbing.

Click to make larger

0 comments:

 
Free counter and web stats template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing