Tuesday, September 15, 2009

bathroom remodel

Very exciting adventure the bathroom... The nasty half bath I showed you earlier this month has been totally redone. It began with pulling off that awful wood paneling. What we found was a wall that was nearly falling down on the outer wall ... where the water damage was. The ceiling was bad too.

When we pulled everything out, toilet, sink, general junk, we started off with the hammer to the wall. The wall with the most damage was the only one we took down. The second I hit it with the hammer a HUGE chunk of the wall came down. It took about 3-5 big swings to get an entire wall to come down.

Working with the plaster was the hardest. I wanted to patch things and then texture the wall but I guess you can't do that with plaster, because the second I put water into it I could spear it around a little and then it would harden again. I ended up just adding as much water as I could and having it run down the wall. Ultimately I discovered that joint compound was the best way to create that more modern texture that worked. But I did try that stuff you get in a can.... I don't recommend it... EVER.


Inspiration for bathroom:


This is from HGTV's top ten most beautiful bathrooms which you can see here


Let us begin with the floor :) First time I've ever laid tile..... ever! This was difficult for several reasons. First ... let me highly recommend taking a class at Home Depot. I wish Lowes had classes like this, but they don't.



Details:
Tile: American Olean was about $4 per sheet took 15
Paint Color: La Fonda Mirage from Valspar (I think but I'll confirm) 1 gallon $25
Sink: Not the exact sink - this was the one I wanted, but we found this other one that was similar and on sale for $100 less. Lesson 1: check the sales. Sink = $100 (no seriously)
Faucet: Price Pficer - Actually got on sale for $45
Mirror: Zenith - no idea why its so expensive on this site but we paid $60 for it in store.
Light Fixture: Portfolio - was on sale for $30 at the time in store.

Final - although I hate the cabinet its too big/tall there is a great corner one at Target I want but I ran out of money :(

0 comments:

 
Free counter and web stats template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing