Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Managing electricity in an old home

What I learned when I had our electrician come out to the house at the beginning of this project is that in the 1930's when the second story of the home was put onto the house - they didn't exactly allow for the extra power usage by a whole second floor. What he thinks happened is that they branched off the power from the downstairs and just brought it upstairs.

A friend of mine who does construction and whatnot said this is typical of older homes. So the guys at Yukon's Twin City Electric - Russell specifically who has been really great and super helpful - hooked me up for a pretty reasonable fee. With the exception of the master bath renovation I think we're done with electrical work! I have new lights in my closets and lights and plug ins in the bathroom upstairs now... so I can dry my hair IN the bathroom.... (It's the little things)

Updating the power was one thing - but we were running on an old fuse system and would blow them every time we were drying close and watching TV at the same time. When we get our new energy star appliances and new heating and air conditioning units I imagine this will be easier but in the mean time ... bringing our electricity up to code was probably a good idea...

Before - except I didn't take a picture of the fuse panel...


After! (Also note the fancy windows!!)

0 comments:

 
Free counter and web stats template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing